The adult speech and language therapy team assess, diagnose and provide goal directed-intervention for adults with speech, language, communication and/or swallowing difficulties resulting from acquired neurological or progressive neurological conditions. This could include conditions such as stroke, or multiple sclerosis.
You can read more about the services we provide across London and West Hertfordshire below.
The service provides specialist assessment and management of adult patients who present with speech, language, communication, voice and swallowing disorders resulting from:
- Progressive neurological disorders e.g. Parkinson’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Motor Neurone Disease
- Head Injury
- Brain tumour
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Other cancers
- Voice disorders
- Gender dysphoria
- Mental Health (East and North Hertfordshire)
The disorders assessed and treated by SLT are:
- Dysphagia (swallowing disorders)
- Aphasia (acquired language disorder)
- Dysarthria (speech disorder)
- Dyspraxia (speech disorder)
- Dysphonia (voice disorder)
- Dysfluency (stammer/stutter)
Our adult speech and language therapy (SLT) service offers you:
- care in hospital
- care in community settings in Brent, Ealing and Harrow
- intermediate care.
Our speech and language therapists are specialists in assessing, diagnosing and treating you if you have a communication or oro-pharyngeal swallowing disorder.
We aim to give you the best possible function, independence and quality of life by providing you with treatment programmes, advice and education. We work directly with you, and with your carers and families as you need us to.
We also train other health professionals in screening for swallowing problems and in supporting you with communication and swallowing difficulties.
Who we see
We offer you specialist assessment and treatment if you have problems with speech, language, voice, or swallowing, which result from:
- a cardio-vascular problem (such as a stroke)
- a degenerative neurological disorder
- a head injury
- a brain tumour
- head and neck cancer (including if you have had your voice box removed through a laryngectomy)
- other cancers
- respiratory conditions, including if you have a tracheostomy tube
- complications after surgery
- swallowing problems due to frailty
Location and contact information
- Telephone: 020 8102 3456
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Routine referrals will come through to the Brent SPA. The SPA will be available from 08:00 to 17:00. Outside of the SPA opening times, please use the SPA number and your call will be routed directly to the clinical teams that operate out of these hours. To contact the SPA, telephone 020 8102 3456 or email email@example.com.
We accept referrals from health care professionals, via single point of access.
- Referral email address: CLCHT.SPA.Referral@nhs.net
Inclusion and exclusion criteria
- Anyone 16 years of age and above
- Acquired or progressive neurological conditions resulting in communication or swallowing difficulties.
- We provide assessment and advice for clients with swallowing difficulties who present with respiratory difficulties on a case by case basis
- Registered with a GP or living in the boroughs of Hammersmith & Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea, or Westminster
You can contact the team via the team administrator in the community neuro rehabilitation service.
- Telephone: 020 8102 3879
- Working hours: Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 5pm.
Clients are seen in their homes and in other locations in their local community where appropriate.
- Working hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm.